Image credit: touristmaker.com
Some of the best places to visit in Italy are located in the Mediterranean island of Sicily. Are you planning to visit? This travel guide will help you discover the best places in the island. Don’t forget to book in advance a villa in Sicily, checking out holiday rentals online like Wishsicily.com before you embark on your journey. Remember that accommodations can be taken up in a flash especially during peak seasons.
Image credit: matthewwilliams-ellis.com
1. Palermo –This bustling capital of the region is the ideal place to make as a base. You will find a mélange of architectural buildings, a cultural heritage left by different civilizations that include the medieval ages, the Byzantine and the Norman periods. The place is chock-full of churches, museums and palazzi. Appease your hunger on popular street foods such as arancini and milza as you slowly walk on cobbled streets and discover nudes on many beautiful piazze. Visit the 700-year old open-air markets of Vucciria to shop among a variety of items and accessories.
Image credit: italybeyondtheobvious.com
2. Valley of the Temples – If you are into ancient wonders, you will be amazed at the number of well-preserved Greek temples and ruins located in one place in Agrigento. Allow at least a day to visit the place. After roaming around the area of the temples, drop by the archeological museum which covers the history of the place from the earliest human settlement. Then, head on to the town centre which is characterized by a network of steep alleys and stairways. Significant sights such as the Duomo and the church of Santa Maria dei Greci await you.
Image credit: ibtimes.co.uk
3. Mount Etna – The most active volcano in the whole of Europe, Mt. Etna attracts a huge following yearly, whatever the season. Trekking to its craters is one of the most popular activities here. Skiing in winter is likewise a favorite thing to do. The scenery from the top is breath-taking. On the slopes of the volcano, you can also find vineyards that produce some of the finest wines in the region.
Image credit: taormina.it
4. Taormina – This town that sits on the rocky Mt. Tauro is one of the most-picturesque s in Sicily. The amazing Teatro Greco annually hosts the Taormina Film festival, attracting people from all over the world. The view from this vantage point is just stupendous, with the sea stretching down below, and the majestic Mt. Etna on the horizon. It is worth visiting the areas around such as Isola Bella, Giardini Naxos and the Alcantara Valley.
Image credit: cntraveller.com
5. Aeolian Islands – Jump on a ferry or hire a boat to go island-hopping around the Aeolian group of islands to see smoking volcanoes, to enjoy hot baths, to play on black-sand beaches, to be amazed by the sciara del fuoco in Stromboli, to hang out with the rich in Panarea, to dive among ship wrecks in Filicudi, or to just watch the sun set. Whatever it is you prefer to do, you will surely find the experience all worth it.